Dogs and cats are nowadays more than just our pets, they are family! Of course, we only want to feed them what is good for them and helps them thrive. How can we help them thrive in regards of food? It’s a simple question that we can ask ourselves, would we thrive on fast food or highly processed food? After consistently consuming fast food or processed food for an extended period, would we experience a sense of well-being and maintain good health? The answer is clear – no. And this is why we choose to feed a healthy variety of natural and raw foods to our furry family members. It’s not only good for dogs and cats but it also is a lot of fun to feed them a species appropriate diet!
Facts about dogs
Dogs ancestors are wolves: they have the same number and shape of teeth, which indicate tearing and shredding meat (Coppinger and Coppinger, 2001). They don’t have flat molars or jaws made up for chewing their meat or vegetables (Olsen, 2010). Please keep in mind, we are not saying that a dog is a wolf. We have changed a dogs appearance as well as mind, but this does not change their need for exercise and food (Baker, 2002).
Why a species appropriate diet is the best diet for your dog and cat
A species appropriate raw diet for pets involve feeding them uncooked, fresh, and whole foods. These diets often include raw meat, bones, organs, as well as vegetables and fruits. Health benefits of a species appropriate diet are:
- Improved Digestion: Raw diets can promote a healthier gut flora due to the presence of natural enzymes and beneficial bacteria. The natural, unprocessed nature of raw foods can enhance digestive health, reducing the risk of gastrointestinal issues and promoting efficient nutrient absorption.
- Healthy Coat and Skin: The essential nutrients found in raw foods, such as omega-3 fatty acids, can contribute to a shinier coat, healthier skin, and a reduction in skin-related issues like itching or dryness. Skin issues and other inflammatory issues are enhanced by sugars and carbohydrates. A raw diet provides almost no carbohydrates and sugars and can thus not fuel or promote such issues.
- Optimal Weight Management: A balanced raw diet helps in maintaining a healthy weight for pets, reducing the risk of obesity-related health issues.
- Enhanced Energy Levels: The nutrient-dense nature of raw foods provides sustained energy, contributing to increased vitality and overall well-being.
- Dental Health: Chewing on raw bones can act as a natural teeth cleaner, promoting good oral hygiene and reducing the risk of dental problems.
- Boosted Immune System: Proper nutrition from a species-appropriate diet supports a strong immune system, helping pets resist infections and illnesses. The majority of our dogs immune system is located in the GI tract. This means a dogs diet is vital to its overall health and wellbeing. A variety in raw food, such as different meats, vegetables and organs, promote the right balance of gut bacteria. A healthy gut can therefore help with allergies and other inflammatory issues.
- Joint Health: Raw diets often include components like cartilage and connective tissues from bones, supporting joint health and mobility, especially important for aging pets but also for young pups.
- Reduced Allergies and Sensitivities: Some pets experience fewer allergies and sensitivities on a raw diet, as it eliminates certain additives and preservatives found in commercial pet foods.
- Better Muscle Development: High-quality proteins in raw meat contribute to muscle development and maintenance, supporting an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Balanced Nutrient Intake: By mimicking the natural diet of their wild ancestors, a species-appropriate raw diet aims to provide a balanced intake of essential nutrients, contributing to overall health and longevity.
- Mental Stimulation: By chewing on a bone dogs experience mental and physical stimulation. During this experience, dogs can release stress.